This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here.

Protect you and your family by preparing for the unexpected


Have a question? We’ve put together the following answers to some frequently asked questions below.


Is it safe to put my personal details online?

Yes. Whenever Helping Hand Travel Insurance ask you for personal information, it is within a secure environment and all details sent between your PC and the Helping Hand Travel Insurance website are encrypted.

Policy arrangements

I'm travelling today. Can I get instant cover and policy documents?

As soon as your credit or debit card details have gone through okay, confirmation of your cover is provided on screen, and to the email address you have given. You can also choose to get a text with cover details to your mobile. Provided you have your policy number, emergency number and claims number, you have all the basic information you need.

Can I travel without my documents?

Yes you can. A policy reference number is all that is needed for proof of insurance when travelling. It is however, recommended that you take your documents with you for information and also for when you are asked for brief details of your policy cover. Or, if you don't yet have documents, remember to take a note of important telephone numbers you might need.

When does my cover begin?

If you are buying a Single Trip policy, your cover begins instantly. If you have already booked a holiday, and have no other travel insurance arrangements in force, you should ensure your policy starts immediately, so you are covered for cancellation. Cover for Annual Multi-Trip starts from the Policy Start date.

Can I change my policy details?

Yes you can. If you need to update information about yourself, such as a change of name, address or telephone number Helping Hand Travel Insurance will re-issue an updated policy schedule. If you need to add Winter Sports cover or want to increase the number of people insured, Helping Hand Travel Insurance will just need to issue a new policy and schedule. Just call on 0345 045 0132 to make these changes.

Travelling in, to or from Cuba

Am I covered to travel in, to or from Cuba?

Helping Hand Travel Insurance are not able to provide cover in connection with any travel relating to Cuba.

This means that Helping Hand Travel Insurance will not pay any claims :

  • arising out of or relating to any travel to, from or in Cuba or any travel which starts, ends or has a scheduled stop in Cuba;
  • arising out of or relating to any Insured Person whose main residence is in Cuba;and/ or
  • which would result in Helping Hand Travel Insurance being in breach of United Nations resolutions or trade or economic sanctions or other laws of the European Union, United Kingdom, or United States of America.

You should contact us for clarification of Policy cover for travel to countries which may be subject to United Nations resolutions or trade or economic sanctions or other laws of the European Union, United Kingdom, or United States of America.

General cover questions

Do the limits under the policy apply per person or per policy?

Each of you is covered separately up to the limits shown in the policy schedule. The policy limits apply in the same way as they would if you had each taken separate policies.

Am I covered for holidays in the United Kingdom?

If you have bought a Single Trip policy you will not be covered for holidays in the United Kingdom. However if you have bought an Annual Multi-Trip policy you will be covered in the United Kingdom if your stay includes at least two nights accommodation.

What am I not covered for?

The most important exclusions are highlighted in the Policy Summary, FAQ's and in the statements that you are asked to confirm before you buy the cover. It is not possible to list everything you will not be covered for, and therefore suggest you read the full policy wording. Under each section of cover you will find a list of exclusions of 'what is not covered' as well as the general exclusions. These sections must not be read in isolation, but within the context of the full policy wording. If you have any doubts about what is not covered, please contact Helping Hand Travel Insurance.

What happens if my journey home is delayed beyond the insurance period?

If your journey home is delayed beyond your control and you do not get back into the country until after your policy has expired, your cover will continue (up to 14 days) until for example, your airline or ferry operator can get you home.

Travelling separately

Can children travel independently/separately?

No. Dependants must be accompanied by the parent, grandparent or legal guardian who is the Policyholder. The spouse/partner can travel independently and be covered.


What if I have a medical emergency abroad?

If you have a Medical Emergency that requires hospital in patient treatment, specialist treatment, medical tests, scans or repatriating to the United Kingdom you must contact Chubb Assistance on +44 (0) 207 173 7902. You should also refer to the claims conditions on page 12 of the policy document for further details. If you are unable to do this yourself, it is okay for another person to do it on your behalf. This needs to be done as soon as possible.

Do I have to pay medical expenses and claim them back or will you pay them directly?

If it's a medical emergency and you are admitted to hospital, the emergency assistance service may guarantee the fees of the hospital and attending doctor(s) - so you don't have to pay. In cases where the expenses are small, you may opt to pay, or be asked to pay, and claim the money back. Please talk to the 24/7 Emergency Assistance service (Chubb Assistance), unless the case is very minor, who will decide what to do. Helping Hand Travel Insurance will not pay for any expenses not covered by the policy. Chubb Assistance can be called at any time to help you.

Treatment in Australia

What should I do if I require medical treatment in Australia?

Australia operates a reciprocal health agreement with the UK which requires you to enrol in Medicare to get free public hospital treatment. Medicare is Australia's equivalent of the National Health Service. If you require medical treatment in Australia you must register for treatment with Medicare. If you do not, Helping Hand Travel Insurance may reject your claim or reduce the amount paid to you.

Air ambulance

Will I be covered for an emergency air ambulance back home?

If it's a medical necessity and appropriate, an air ambulance will be provided.


Is there an age restriction to purchase Single Trip or Multi Trip Policies?

Annual Multi-Trip policies are designed to meet the needs of customers aged under 70. Single Trip policies are available for customers under the age of 81.

I am unable to obtain travel insurance cover due to my age – Where can I go to get cover.

If you have exceeded the maximum age for one of our Single Trip or Multi Annual Trip Policies, you can obtain information on where to get cover by visiting the BIBA "Find Insurance" website or by clicking here.


I am pregnant - will I be covered for medical expenses?

You will be covered for medical costs relating to complications in pregnancy. If you are travelling between 28 and 35 (inclusive) weeks pregnant, any medical and additional expenses incurred due to complications in pregnancy will be paid provided you obtained confirmation from a doctor or midwife no earlier than five days before your trip began that you were fit to travel.


What is meant by the term UK resident?

Someone who is living in England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland and continues to live there throughout the period of insurance; and is registered with a GP.

I am British but my partner does not have British citizenship, can we purchase a policy to cover us as a couple?

Yes, provided you are both resident in the United Kingdom and your partner is your spouse or a person of either sex with whom you have been living with for at least three months as though they were your spouse.

I live overseas. Can I buy Helping Hand Travel Insurance?

Only United Kingdom residents can buy insurance from this website.

Single direction journeys

I am going to live abroad and am not returning to the United Kingdom. Can I buy an Helping Hand Travel Insurance policy?

Sorry, the policy does not cover single direction trips for non-United Kingdom residents. Trips must begin and end in the United Kingdom and you must be resident here.

I am starting my journey from another country, but returning to the United Kingdom after 28 days. Will Helping Hand Travel Insurance cover me?

Sorry no, trips must begin and end in the United Kingdom.


How can I pay?

You may pay online or over the telephone using a valid credit card, debit card or pre-payment card.

Winter sports

Am I covered for a skiing holiday?

Yes, but only if you select the Winter Sports cover option. When you have purchased this it will be shown on your Policy Schedule.

Business trips

Can I buy this policy to cover a business related trip?

No, Helping Hand Travel Insurance exclusively covers leisure trips. No cover is available for any business trip.


What do I do if I want to cancel my policy after I've paid?

You have the statutory right to cancel your policy within 14 days from the day of purchase or renewal of the policy. If you wish to do so you will be entitled to a full refund of the premium paid provided you have not travelled, and there has been no claims or incident likely to give rise to a claim. Following the expiry of the statutory cooling off period, you continue to have the right to cancel your policy at any time by contacting Helping Hand Travel Insurance, but no refund of premium will be available. If you wish to cancel your policy you can contact Helping Hand Travel Insurance on 0345 045 0132

Can Helping Hand Travel Insurance cancel my cover?

Helping Hand Travel Insurance may cancel this policy by sending 30 days' notice to your last known address. Part of the premium may be returned to you. The policy may be cancelled immediately if you do not pay the premium.

Could I get anything back if my holiday is cut short?

Yes, some of your money may be refunded if your holiday is cut short by one of the circumstances described in the policy wording; for example death, illness, fire at your home or because the police require you to. You do not qualify for refunds for reasons outside those shown in the policy wording.


How can I make a complaint?

Should you have reason to complain about any aspect of the service, please contact the complaints handling team on 0345 045 0132


What do I do if I have to make a claim?

If you think you need to make a claim, please contact Helping Hand Travel Insurance immediately and have your policy number to hand. For claims advice call 0345 045 0132 from the UK or visit for a claims form.

Who do I talk to if I have to make a claim from abroad?

Helping Hand Travel Insurance also offer a worldwide emergency helpline, Chubb Assistance, which is available around the clock for you on +44 (0) 20 7173 7902. Whatever your problem, you know that friendly, English-speaking help is only a phone call away. Lines open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Medical conditions

What do you mean by any costs payable because an insured person has that medical condition?

For example, without cover for an existing problem with your lungs, if you then got a chest infection when you were on holiday, you might be more ill, and take longer to get better than someone without an existing lung problem. If this happened, the most Helping Hand Travel Insurance would pay would be for the reasonable costs of treatment that someone without a lung condition might have to pay.

What is meant by GP?

A general physician or doctor registered or licensed to practise medicine, who is a UK resident.

Get an instant quote in a few easy steps.

Fill in our quick and easy online form to choose the perfect cover for you.

Get a quote